Monday, May 27, 2013

Lavender Shortbread



Lately I've been on a complete period drama kick: Downton Abbey on the tube and The House at Riverton on Audible. Between the two, I find myself focusing on things like afternoon tea. I was not raised in a family that had afternoon tea, nor any tea, really, so I know this desire to eat fancy little sandwiches and cookies while holding a delicate, little cup with pinky out, is  the direct result of my kick. Pair this bent with the fact that it's been drizzling outside every day for just about the past week, making the air smack of lavender the minute I step outside my front door. It makes complete sense then, that I found myself clipping lavender and adding it to a bunch of butter, sugar and flour.

Lavender Shortbread
Ingredients1 cup butter, softened1/4 cup powdered sugar1/4 cup granulated sugar1 cup all purpose flour, sifted1 cup cake flour, sifted1/2 tsp salt2 T chopped, fresh lavender
Cream butter and sugars together in the mixer. Combine salt and flours, and add to sugar/butter mixture in two "batches." Add lavender at the end and just mix until combined--don't overwork. Roll the dough out into a half-inch think square, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Cut into shapes and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Makes one dozen cookies. 
Lavender Shortbread





No comments:

Post a Comment