Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Watermelon Feta Salad

Summer is literally blowing by--I can see it right outside my window. Leaves aren't turning quite yet, but the breeze is picking up and leaves are looking crispy. It's time to take stock of an outstanding season and eat the full-tilt summer foods like mad before they're gone. In my mind, watermelon and tomatoes are two foods that just should only be eaten fresh when in season. What you find in the market off-season are sad, mealy, flavor-free impersonators that should be avoided. Watermelon, also like the tomato, is a good delivery system for lots of flavors and textures, which is why I love it in salad, particularly when lots of other great goodies are in season too, like fresh local feta (bet you didn't think I was going to say cheese, did you?) It's sad to think we won't see them again for another year, but I suppose that's part of what makes them so delicious. I love this salad for lunch with some toasted naan and Baba Ghanouj

Watermelon Feta Salad
Ingredients:
1 watermelon, seeded and cubed into chunks no larger than 1-inch
1 C basil leaves, torn
8 oz. feta
1 medium red onion, chopped coarsely
1/4 C white balsamic vinegar
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
2 fresh red chiles (I used Thai chiles, but you could use cayenne or dried Aleppo Peppers)
Salt to taste

Mix the dressing by combining the vinegar, oil and minced chiles. 
Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and gently combine with the dressing. Season with salt to taste. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment