Monday, November 18, 2013

Salmon Burgers with Garlic Aioli


While I spent probably the first thirty years of my life fixating on my weight, I've spent the past decade trying to focus on my health instead. I tried to make choices that would help me avoid heart disease, stroke and diabetes (I spent my childhood trying to convince my diabetic mother to put the Hershey bars down) but didn't concern myself too much with anything else. I quit smoking four years ago, and have really tried to remain as active as my schedule would allow--getting as much fresh air, and "natural exercise" as I could. As of recent, however, it seems I spend more and more time watching friends and family try desperately not to slip off the proverbial raft, and cancer has by far, been the culprit trying to kick them off.

It feels like wherever I look--be it the internet, magazines, bookshelves--everybody has a theory about what is causing cancer, how to avoid it and what, (most often) you should buy. I'm left scratching my head. What reverberates most lately though, is the voice of my grandmother telling me "everything in moderation", "if it doesn't go bad on the counter, it's probably going to go bad in you", and "if you can't control it, then you can't be bothered with it." She was such a wise woman, and she happened to live to 101 years old.

Now, following this advice as much as I can, I am giving up nothing, but moderating everything. I try to grow and prepare as much of my family's food as I can, but know that I can't do it all. When I can't, I try to buy locally-sourced, organic, non-GMO foods when possible. Last night I wanted a cheeseburger and fries wayyyy bad, BUT I knew this not the way to go. I also happened to have a bin full of root veggies from the garden and a cupboard full of salmon that I CAUGHT in Alaska, and that my brother-in-law canned for me. So, I made this, and I have to say, I was entirely satisfied, and then some.

Salmon Burgers with Garlic Aioli

Ingredients

1/2 can salmon (I used a smaller can of homemade, but this works too)
3 T fresh bread crumbs
3 T feta cheese
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 brioche buns (I just bought these)
1 C fresh arugula
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T garlic aioli
(makes enough for 2 burgers, so just multiply the recipe as needed for larger groups)

Garlic Aioli (I just use the Vitamix recipe. It works perfectly!)


Make the garlic aioli first and refrigerate until ready.  Add first 7 ingredients to a medium bowl.

Combine ingredients with a fork. There is no need to overwork this.
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Form burgers (I like mine about 1/2-3/4 inch thick) and add to the pan. Do not move them, allowing them to form a crust. This should take about 4-5 minutes. Flip and repeat. 
In the meanwhile, spread aioli on each side of the bun and top with a handful of fresh arugula. Remove the burgers from the pan and add to your prepared bun. This is great served with homemade veggie chips. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment